The Bank Verification Number (BVN) is a unique identification number issued by financial institutions in Nigeria to their customers. It serves as a means of verifying and authenticating individuals’ identities for banking transactions.
Accurate BVN information is crucial as it ensures the security and integrity of financial systems. One key aspect of accurate BVN information is the date of birth. This information helps banks verify customers’ age and eligibility for certain services or transactions.
Similarly, having an up-to-date phone number linked to the BVN is vital for communication purposes, especially regarding important account notifications or transaction alerts.
Equally important is ensuring that the names on the BVN correspond with those on official identification documents. Discrepancies in names can lead to difficulties accessing banking services or even potential fraud attempts. Maintaining accurate BVN information safeguards against identity theft, unauthorized access to accounts, and fraudulent activities.
The 11 digit number Bank Verification Number commonly called (BVN )was introduce in February 14, 2014 with the aim of Identity theft and fraudulent transactions in banking sector.
In order to ensure trust relationship in the Nigerian banking system is not undermined, The Central Bank of Nigeria in collaboration with all Nigerian Banks launched Bank Verification Number (BVN) project.
What is Bank Verification Number (BVN)?
Bank Verification Number acts as your universal ID in all commercial banks in Nigeria. The Central Bank of Nigeria implemented this Biometric Identification System within the industry to curb illegal banking.
This is required for operating a bank account in Nigeria as no withdrawal shall be made on accounts without validated BVN (customers in diaspora accounts were exempted till January 31, 2016).
Most customer have one or two thing to change or update on their BVN account details either Phone number, change of name or date of birth as a result we are going to walk you through how to get it done .
Last two years i misplace my Phone number that is attach to my BVN, though didn’t Retrieve my sim card on time because i was away from the country for more than 1 year. but only to come back to the country and my number is use by another person.
I put a call to my bank and Glo telecom i was told i have to change my number that is attach to my BVN.
Guide To Changing Bvn Details: Phone Number
1. Contact your bank: Begin by reaching out to your bank’s customer service helpline or visiting the nearest branch. Ensure you have all the necessary identification documents handy, such as your valid ID card and BVN.
2. Request the BVN change form: Explain that you wish to update your phone number in your BVN details. The bank representative will provide you with a form specifically designed for this purpose.
3. Fill out the form: Enter accurate information in the required fields, including your current phone number, old phone number, and BVN.
4. Provide supporting documents: Attach copies of any identification documents requested by the bank, such as a valid ID card or passport.
5. Submit the form: Hand over the completed form and supporting documents to the bank representative for processing.
You can also read: How to check BVN code via mobile phone on MTN, Airtel, 9Mobile and Glo
Step Guide To Change Bvn Details: Date Of Birth
Changing your Bank Verification Number (BVN) details, such as your date of birth, is a straightforward process that can be done by following these steps:
1. Visit the nearest branch of the bank where you registered your BVN. Ensure that you have all necessary identification documents with you.
2. Request for a BVN update form: Approach a customer service representative and ask for the BVN update form specifically for changing your date of birth.
3. Fill out the form: Provide accurate information on the form, including your current and correct date of birth details.
Double-check for any errors before submitting it.
4. Submit required documents: Along with the completed form, submit any supporting documents requested by the bank, such as a valid ID card or birth certificate and affidavit from the court
2. Birth certificate.
3.To change names and other details due to marriage – Marriage certificate as evidence.
Step Guide To Changing Bvn Details: Names
1. Contact your bank: Initiate the process by reaching out to your bank’s customer service department or visiting a branch. Be prepared with identification documents such as your national ID card, international passport, or driver’s license.
2. Submit a request form: Request the necessary form for changing BVN details, specifically for updating names. Fill out the form accurately and provide supporting documents that verify the change you want to make.
3. Provide proof of name change: If you are changing your name due to marriage or any other legal reason, you will need to submit relevant documents such as marriage certificates or court orders as evidence.
4. Verification process: The bank will review your request and authenticate the provided information/documents. This may involve cross-checking with external agencies or databases.
How to Link BVN With My Account?
1.Login into bank Internet Banking.
2.Choose BVN Linker from the left-hand panel.
3.Tap “New Request.”
4.From the drop-down menu, enter your Bank Verification Number.
5.Choose the Nigerian Bank where your BVN was issued.
6.Answer your “Secret Question” and continue.